The 1-2-4-All method is a fast idea-generating method in which all participants within a group engage. First, participants work individually, then in pairs (building on self-reflection), and then in groups of four to share and build on ideas. Finally, participants engage collectively in a powerful brainstorming session. In this method, participants combine know-how and imagination and create strategies with their own ideas. Since everyone in a group contributes, all feel ownership over the ideas generated.
Use this method to:
- Rapidly generate a large number of ideas.
- Make progress in a stalled discussion by engaging participants in searching for answers.
- Enrich the quality of observations and insights before expressing them in common.
- Build slowly toward a consensus or shared understanding.
- Foster spontaneous conversation after presenting the main topic, as an alternative to asking: Any questions?
- Make progress in a stalled discussion.
- Duration: 30 min - 1 hour
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Group Size: < 20
- Level of interaction: High
- Multilanguage fit: no
- Preparation Time: Medium
- Purpose: Knowledge construction,Online socialization
- Type of Online Events: Workshop,Hackaton,Webinar