Duration: < 30 min
Difficulty Level: Hard
Group Size: < 100
Level of interaction: Low
Multilanguage fit: Yes
Preparation Time: Medium
Purpose: Access and Motivation, Information Exchange
Type of Online Events: AMA Session, Corporate Town Hall, Virtual Conference
Connect with leaders and experts
The Celebrity Interview method is based on a talk-show-like interview, where participants have the opportunity to connect with the person behind the celebrity. First, an expert on a subject matter (the celebrity) is interviewed by the host (the facilitator) with relatively uncommon questions, inviting the expert to let aside formal presentations or speeches and offer answers to more challenging questions. Afterward, the audience (the participants) develops questions following the 1-2-4-All method (without the All part) and asks them to the celebrity, making the interview more dynamic and interactive.
Use this method to:
- Create or boost a connection between an expert or leader and an audience while avoiding lengthy presentations.
- Shed light on the person behind the expertise, personalize and deepen their contribution.
- Elicit stories from the expert that bring big concepts to life.
- Welcome new leaders to an organization, or help them launch a new initiative.
- Debrief the experience of a few participants in an important event.
Steps to apply this method:
- Before the learning activity, brief the expert and the participants about the method and its purpose.
- Prepare the first set of questions considering the casual ‘talk show’ format.
- Prepare a virtual background that aligns with the metaphor of a talk-show.
- Welcome the expert (the celebrity) and the participants (the audience) to your online event.
- Present the topic to be discussed and the dynamic of the learning activity briefly. The learning activity consists of three parts.
- In the first part, the participants listen to the interview.
- In the second part, the participants develop questions based on what they heard following the 1-2-4-All method (without the All part).
- Finally, the expert is asked questions by the participants, and the facilitator continues the moderation.
- Start the interview and ask the first set of questions (15 minutes).
- Create a break to allow participants to develop their questions (5 minutes individually, 10 minutes in pairs, and 15 minutes in groups of 4), using break-out rooms functionality.
- Once participants are back in plenary, re-start the interview. This time an ambassador from each group of 4 participants asks questions, and the facilitator acts as the moderator, intervening where and when required (15-30 minutes, depending on the number of groups).
- Close the interview with comments. Thank the expert and the participants (5 minutes)
Participants must be familiar with the 1-2-4-All method.
Download Session Plan Example
UN INTER-AGENCY TASK FORCE ON SOCIAL AND SOLIDARITY ECONOMY
Download Session Plan Example
UN INTER-AGENCY TASK FORCE ON SOCIAL AND SOLIDARITY ECONOMY - 2