Brainwriting is a non-verbal idea-generating method that uses ideas from a group of persons to address a specific query formulated by the facilitator. Like brainstorming, brainwriting allows a group to build a concept or develop solutions simultaneously but individually to a particular problem. In addition, this method allows the flow of ideas within a group, overcoming the tendency for judgment and personality clashes. In online practice, an online collaborative space is designed and divided into different areas or stations, where small groups will rotate after a certain time. While at specific stations, each group member contributes writing in thoughts and ideas to a set of questions written on PostIts.
Use this method to:
- Encourage clear definition of ideas or formulation of problems.
- Promote and stimulate creative and critical thinking.
- Support participants to overcome blocks.
- Generate plans, approaches, or solutions to particular topics.
- Gather input from all members of a group.